Then I have found a book I can recommend. Of course, there's my own Hints & Tips paper which you can download from the Baton Bytes section of the Members' Area, but as good as it is (in my opinion!) it's very brief and only really scratches the surface.
The book I am recommending is far more comprehensive, written in a really logical, easy-to-understand way. I found it in my local library when I was looking for a music book on a completely different topic and thought I'd get it to help my lad.
It's called "Learning to Read Music - make sense of those mysterious symbols and bring music alive", by Peter Nickol, How To Books, ISBN 1-84528-278-7. If you click on the link it'll take you to an Amazon.co.uk page so you can look at it in a bit more detail - however, I am not advocating that you should buy it from there should you wish to buy it; you will have your own preferred sources for books.
Enjoy!