I just wanted to remind you about the "hints and tips" leaflet I put together, which contains some basic information that I hope might go some way into helping you make something of the many varied note types, symbols and words that you see in a piece of music. It's not a silver bullet, but is intended to provide some rudimentary, easy-to-read, explanations to what I heard many years ago referred to as "tadpoles dancing on telephone wires"!
It is linked to from the Baton Bytes page in the member's section of our website. I have just updated it to explain the term "semitone" a bit clearer and make reference to a very good tutorial book (which I have referred to before in the pages of this blog) which is cheap and will help provide a good basic grounding in how to read music, if you want to take it further.